Why hidden cameras?
A hidden camera can be installed in your home or office, in case you wish to keep an eye on things. There could be numerous situations where you might need to know what goes on behind your back. You might suspect theft or vandalism, or child abuse by a babysitter. But to be able to spy, your camera needs to be hidden since anyone can see and recognize a typical webcam.
How to build a hidden camera?
To build a hidden camera, you will need the following basic items:
- USB webcam
- Old power supply from a cell phone or a similar gadget
- USB extension cable
- Tools: Screwdriver, chisel, pliers, drill
Dismantling the Webcam: The first thing you need to do is to take the camera out of its very easily recognizable covering. Your aim is to separate the circuit board with the lens and a cable from the plastic covering. Use a screwdriver to open the casing. And in case the particular webcam model is glued instead of screwed together, you will have to gently break it.
Once you have the cable and lens attached to the circuit board, you can move on to the next step.
Hiding the Webcam: Since the whole idea is to make this camera a “secret” and not visible to naked eye, you will need to do some research. Look around in your house to find a perfect gadget and the spot to conceal the camera. It could be any item, ranging from a flower pot, a bag or even a cell phone charger. Once you have found the object you want to use as cover, you will need a chisel and hammer to knock it open. Place the camera in its new casing and determine a spot for drilling a lens hole in the casing. With this done, glue or screw the casing back together. Now place this 'incognito' camera in a setting where it gels in with its surroundings; now you are good to go.
A few things to remember!
- Take your camera for a test run: This is important in setting up your camera. Your camera needs to be properly angled and positioned for the desired results.
- Lighting: The amount of lighting available in the room would be crucial.
- Access point: If you've hidden your camera, such as in a plant stand or a sack of potatoes, make sure you have an easy access point, especially if you are planning to use the camera in a given enclosure more than once.
- Surveillance laws: Make sure you check the surveillance laws in your state before spying on anyone. There are laws in place that make spying illegal in some circumstances.